In the book Ragas in Carnatic music, Dr S Bhagyalakshmi explains “Pantuvarali is also referred to as Kamavardhini. Its equivalent in Hindustani music is Purya Dhanasri. A raga having ample scope for alapana and sung at the early part of the concert.”
Ragam Pantuvarali was frequently featured in the early part of MS’ concerts.
In one MS concert, a very interesting raga sequence(musical links below) was Pantuvarali followed immediately by Ragam Mayamalagowla (the suddha madhyama ‘equivalent’ in the melakarta scheme for Ragam Kamavardhini).
Sambo Mahadeva in Ragam Pantuvarali, Talam Rupakam composed by Shri Tyagaraja, preceded by Raga Alapana. Neraval and swarams at the line Parama Dayakara
Kshirasagara Sayana in Ragam Mayamalavagowla, Talam Chatusra Jhampa composed by Mysorre Maharaja Jayachamaraja Wodeyar
Here are compositions in Pantuvarali in multiple languages and by multiple composers featured in MS 78 RPM recording, movie Savithri and in concerts across multiple decades.
1. 78 RPM Vinyl Recording – Vadera Deivamu Talam Adi, composed by Shri Tyagaraja
2. Deviyai Poojai Seivai from the movie Savithri composed by Shri Papanasam Sivan
3. Ennaganu Rama Bhajana in Talam Rupakam composed by Shri Bhadrachala Ramadas, preceded by Raga Alapana. Neraval and swaras at the line rAmaciluka nokada penci prEma mATalADanEpa rAma
4.Aparama Bhakti in Talam Rupakam composed by Shri Tyagaraja preceded by Raga Alapana. Nerval and swarams at the line lakSmI dEvI valacunA? lakSmanuNDu golucunA?
5.Satata Gananaatha (Ugabhoga) followed by Guruvina Gulaama in Talam Adi composed by Shri Purandaradasa
6. Ninnarul in talam rupakam composed by Shri Papanasam Sivan preceded by Raga Alapana. Neraval and swarams at the line innal kUTTi inbamUTTi indrajAla viddai kATTi
7. Ramanatham Bhajeham in Talam Tisra Ekam composed by Shri Muthuswami Dikshithar, preceded by Raga Alapana. Swarams at Hastamaalaka
8. Thaaye Idhu Tarunam in Talam Adi composed by Shri Kavi Kunjara Bharathi preceded by Raga Alapana. Neraval and Swarams at the line Iravum Pagalum Thaamarai Neerena
9. Naradamuni in Talam Adi composed by Shri Tyagaraja preceded by Raga Alapana
10. Sarasaksha in Talam Adi composed by Shri Svati Tirunaal preceded by Raga Alapana, Neraval and Swarams at the line bhAmini samudayAshaya mOhana padmanAbha kamalAdharanIvara
11. Sringagiri Vasini in Talam Adi tuned by Shri Kadayanallur Venkatraman. Swarams at the line Sringagiri Vasini
Ragam Purya Dhanasri
The Hindustani Raag Purya Dhanasri is similar to Ragam Pantuvarali,
In the Hindu article about the release of Ustad Alladiya Khan’s biography, Gowri Ramnarayan writes “M. S. Subbulakshmi had recounted how she had visited Khan Saheb in Bombay to offer her respects. The Ustad’s eyes had lit up when she sang Pantuvarali (chosen because of its closeness to the Hindustani Purya Dhanasri). When she stopped, he seemed to continue it in a soft humming. Placing a hand over her head, he declared that she would become one of the greatest singers of the Indian tradition. M.S. added in tender recollection, “It is the blessings of such great artistes that have been my strength through life.”